Yes! Wind Power for Cohocton

Thursday, November 23, 2006


Response to comment made by Jim Lince on Gene Drum's posting,
Support Local Law 2

Because I feel this message is important-I am publishing my response as a posting. Jane Towner

Jim—you never seem to get the point, is it that you just want confrontation? Is it your desire to be known ONLY for your military record for the rest of your life?To serve in our military is indeed commendable and honorable and without question you are admired for your service record.
My grandmother’s brother Edward Adams, lost his life in World War I, he is buried in Maple View Cemetery.
My father, Stuart Conrad and my step father Stan Strobel, and my uncle James Conrad (Chunky) all served in World War II –along with many more young people from Cohocton. As you put it, they were members of the “greatest generation.” My father suffered hearing loss for the remainder of his short life (he died at 59) from his service career. He was in the Army Air Corp; a branch that I believe no longer exists. When he, my uncle and my stepfather came home from the war they picked up their lives and worked among their community. They were members of local churches, American Legion, Lion’s Club, Masons, Fire Department etc. Back in those days the Fire Dept. also had a band that my relatives participated in.
My father along with Gene Baird from Wayland and several other men formed the DanWaCoA Babe Ruth baseball league for the boys of our area. They were and are highly regarded in our community. My father passed in 1977, but if you mention his name to anyone from the age of 55 up, a smile will come across their faces as they reminisce about him. Like my husband, he was a Rural Letter Carrier in his hometown of Cohocton If he were here now, I assure you he would be standing beside me working to bring the turbines to his town, of that I have NO doubt.
If you feel for one moment that I am making any comments disregarding the commitment and sacrifice of our military, you are sadly mistaken and misguided.
If you think that digging trenches for electric for the Sports Complex, working the gate or the concession stand, painting structures in the community, planting flowers, working on community projects etc. is taking on an elitist attitude, you need a life.
That is the type of activity members the YES! Group and other people in our community have done for years, without notice or the need to be commended for their efforts, just doing a job because there was a need and instead of talking about it, they did the work. Just take a look at the Pavilion that the Lions Club gave our town, there was no one being paid to work on that structure. The men could be seen working late into the night all summer long, giving up time with their families to complete a need. They are members of the community, not just land owners paying taxes.
The latest community project is the Veteran’s Memorial in Maple View Cemetery that is being developed by the Historical Society. Now, I would think that would be of interest to you. Why don’t you join the group and your community, we welcome you with open arms.
There has been nothing personal against anyone who opposes the Wind Project; it is just a difference of opinion. This is a free world, after all isn’t that why you served in the military, to protect our freedoms?
Jane Towner

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home